In this post, we will be looking at over 20 bible verses about anger management and why it is very important for every Christian to be mindful of their anger towards one another.
When looking at some of these bible verses on anger, they are scriptural verses that gives us biblical understanding on how to deal with anger. These verses also helps us on how to handle our emotions.
Without wasting much of your time, read through these bible verses about anger to see what the bible has to say about anger, how to avoid sinning due to anger and how to live a life free from the control of anger.
Follow us for more bible verses on various topics:
- 40 Important Bible Verses About The Holy Spirit (Holy Ghost)
- 8 Uplifting Bible Verses and Quotes To Uplift Your Soul
Bible Verses About Anger
1. In your anger do not sin: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold. – Ephesians 4:26-27
2. My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. – James 1:19
3. A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control. – Proverbs 29:11
4. For man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. – James 1:20
5. A man’s wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense. – Proverbs 19:11
6. Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit, for anger resides in the lap of fools. – Ecclesiastes 7:9
7. A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. – Proverbs 15:1
8. A hot-tempered man stirs up dissension, but a patient man calms a quarrel. – Proverbs 15:18
9. But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. – Colossians 3:8
10. What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you? You want something but don’t get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. – James 4:1-2
11. Better a patient man than a warrior, a man who controls his temper than one who takes a city. – Proverbs 16:32
12. Do not make friends with a hot-tempered man, do not associate with one easily angered – Proverbs 22:24
13. But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, Raca, is answerable to the court. But anyone who says, You fool! will be in danger of the fire of hell. – Matthew 5:22
14. Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret; it leads only to evil. For evil men will be cut off, but those who hope in the LORD will inherit the land. – Psalm 37:8-9
15. A patient man has great understanding, but a quick-tempered man displays folly. – Proverbs 14:29
16. Fools show their annoyance at once, but the prudent overlook an insult. – Proverbs 12:16
17. Get rid of all bitterness, passion, and anger. No more shouting or insults, no more hateful feelings of any sort. – Ephesians 4:31
18. But keep away from foolish and ignorant arguments; you know that they end up in quarrels. As the Lord’s servant, you must not quarrel. You must be kind toward all, a good and patient teacher, who is gentle as you correct your opponents, for it may be that God will give them the opportunity to repent and come to know the truth. – 2 Timothy 2:23-25
19. Don’t try to get revenge for yourselves, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath. It is written, Revenge belongs to me; I will pay it back, says the Lord. – Romans 12:19
20. As for parents, don’t provoke your children to anger, but raise them with discipline and instruction about the Lord. – Ephesians 6:4
21. You are storing up wrath for yourself because of your stubbornness and your heart that refuses to change. God’s just judgment will be revealed on the day of wrath. – Romans 2:5
Below are some of the most frequently asked questions about what the bible says about anger
Is it a sin to be angry?
When it comes to anger, this is part of the human emotions when reacting to something that annoys us, or fear of something, frustration etc. We express anger in many ways and some ways do lead to sin, especially when we loose control of our self. The bible says in Ephesians 4:26 – Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger. This is an indication that the bible acknowledges that we will be angry at some point in our life, but warns us not to allow the anger linger till night fall.
So when we get angry, we need to resolve whatever the issue is with whom ever it involves immediately and reconcile. If we fail to do that, then that in my opinion is a sin.
What does God say about anger?
God tells us in Psalm 37:8 – that we should Stop being angry! Turn from your rage! Do not lose your temper – it only leads to harm. So when we allow anger in our heart, it only leads to one thing – Evil.
So as Children of God, we ought to let go all forms of bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander, along with all malice. Living free of anger requires a repentant heart.
How does the Bible say to overcome anger?
There are many ways in which you can control your anger spiritually, surrender anger to God or even avoid been angry all the times. Below is just a few things we need to learn to do:
- Hold back your emotion by not letting it get into your heart.
- Calm your mind and pay close attention to the situation
- Go to God in prayer for forgiveness and strength to overcoming anger
- Rebuke the negative thoughts in your mind by calling on the name of Jesus
- Listen to a Gospel music you love the most, so that way your mind is channeled into something else.
The LORD Was Angry With Israel
So the LORD was very angry with Israel and removed them from his presence. Only the tribe of Judah was left. – 2 Kings 17:18