In this post, we will be looking at over 35 bible verses about depression or what the bible says about depression. These bible verses covers what the bible says we should do when we find ourselves in a depressed state. Some verses are uplifting verses that will help you overcome any form of depression.
As Christians, we should never be in a state of depression because God did not create us to be depressed but rather to be conquerors. Never allow the devil to manipulate your mind to think that you are depressed.
But if for any reason you find yourself depressed, then go to God in prayer and ask the father to remove every spirit of depression in your life. Be rest assured that God will answer your prayer if you believe in Him.
Follow us for more amazing bible verses and scriptures:
What does God say about depression and anxiety?
Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. – Philippians 4:6-7
Is depression a result of sin?
Depression as far as I am aware is not associated with sin since its not recorded anywhere in the bible. You can be depressed because you did not accomplish your set goal which is not a sin. God did not create us to be depressed, this is all the devils tricks and schemes to make us think we are depressed. There are occasions where sin leads to depression.
Bible Verses About Depression
1. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. – Psalm 23:4
2. The Lord is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. – Psalm 9:9
3. The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way; though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the Lord upholds his hand. – Psalm 37:23-24
4. For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning. – Psalm 30:5
5. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. – Philippians 4:13
6. Answer me quickly, O Lord! My spirit fails! Hide not your face from me, lest I be like those who go down to the pit. Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. – Psalm 143:7-8
7. I waited patiently for the Lord; he inclined to me and heard my cry. He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the Lord. – Psalm 40:1-3
8. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. – Philippians 4:6-7
9. For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. – Jeremiah 29:11
10. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. – Joshua 1:9
11. Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. – Isaiah 41:10
12. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. – Matthew 6:33
13. You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness. – Psalm 30:11
14. But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint. – Isaiah 40:31
15. It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed. – Deuteronomy 31:8
16. May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope. – Romans 15:13
17. They will fight against you, but they shall not prevail against you, for I am with you, declares the Lord, to deliver you. – Jeremiah 1:19
18. For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. – 2 Timothy 1:7
19. For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning. – Psalms 30:5
20. But you, O Lord, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head. – Psalm 3:3
21. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away. – Revelation 21:4
22. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. – John 10:10
23. A glad heart makes a cheerful face, but by sorrow of heart the spirit is crushed. – Proverbs 15:13
24. I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world. – John 16:33
25. Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. – 1 Peter 5:7
26. Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad. – Proverbs 12:25
27. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable; if anything is excellent or praiseworthy; think about such things. – Philippians 4:8
28. And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. – Romans 8:28
29. Answer me quickly, O Lord! My spirit fails! Hide not your face from me, lest I be like those who go down to the pit. Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. – Psalms 143:7-8
30. Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. – Philippians 4:4
31. The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. – Psalm 34:18
32. Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. – Matthew 11:28-30
33. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. – Romans 8:38-39
34. Teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age. – Matthew 28:20
35. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. – Proverbs 3:5-6
36. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. – Romans 12:2
37. When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. – Psalm 34:17
We hope these bible verses about depression is able to shed more light into what the bible says about depression and why we ought to rebuke it.