In this post, we will be looking at various bible verses about forgiveness of sins, what the bible says about forgiveness of sons and how we can live a sinless life. First lets understand what sin is and its implications, and then look into some forgiveness verses in bible and the power of forgiveness. Don’t forget to also check our post on God Will Listen to Your Cry Bible Verses.
What is sin?
Sin can be defined in many ways depending on the context. The bible makes us to know that all persons (including you and I) have sinned and fall short of the glory of God – Romans 3:23. We all sin when whenever we do something or fail to do something contrary to God’s commandment or which is not in keeping with His plan for our life:
- Sin is anything you do that does not meet God’s expectation for you. This could be something you do that is wrong and contrary to what is written in God’s Word.
- Sin is also doing something that harms someone else intentionally, when you know in advance that the harmful action is likely to cause pain or injury.
- When you rebel against God’s word, authority and not reverence God’s presence, that is also sin.
- Having a hardened heart, and deciding to to do evil, rather than doing good is also sinful in nature.
- Most importantly, sin is something that separates you from God.
Sin separates us from God
An unforgiving heart separates one from God. In this life, this separation keeps you from enjoying fellowship with God and receiving His blessings for your life. Living a life of separation from God exposes you to God’s judgment and eternal punishment in Hell.
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. – Romans 6:23
The Bible teaches us that everyone will die someday and that is the first death, or death of the body. There is also a second death for those who refuses to believe in and accept Jesus as their personal savior and Lord. The second death is death of the spirit [soul] by eternal condemnation from the presence of God into the Lake of Fire [Hell]. Revelation 20:14 – And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
However, the person who believes in and accepts Jesus as his or her Savior will never experience such, but will have an eternal life of reward and complete happiness in God’s kingdom.
Bible Verses About Forgiveness of Sins
1. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace. – Ephesians 1:7
2. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! – 2 Corinthians 5:17
3. The Lord our God is merciful and forgiving, even though we have rebelled against him. – Daniel 9:9
4. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the Lord and put their trust in him. – Psalm 40:3
5. Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. – 1 Peter 1:3
6. Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven-as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little. – Luke 7:47
7. Then he adds: Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more. – Hebrews 10:17
8. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. – Colossians 3:13
9. Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, ‘Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?’ Jesus answered, ‘I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.’ – Matthew 18:21-22
10. As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. – Psalm 103:12
Does God forgive our sins?
Yes God promises to forgive us of our sins. This promise is one of the most reassuring promises in the bible.
11. If we confess our sins, God is faithful and just and will forgive our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. – 1 John 1:9
Does God forget our sins?
Yes the God we serve promises to forget our sin, once He forgives you. This promise forms part of the New Covenant between God and His people. No matter what your sin is, when God forgives you of your sin, He will remember such sin no more or even hold it against you in judgment.
12. Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the LORD does not count against him. – Psalm 32:1-2
13. I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more. – Isaiah 43:25
14. Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord. – Acts 3:19
15. For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more. – Hebrews 8:12
Forgiveness verses in bible
16. So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. – Matthew 5:23-24
17. When Jesus saw their faith, he said, ‘Friend, your sins are forgiven.’ – Luke 5:20
18. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. – Ephesians 4:31-32
19. Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy. 19 You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea. – Micah 7:18-19
20. For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more. – Jeremiah 31:34
21. Therefore, my brothers, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sin is proclaimed to you. – Acts 13:38
22. Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. – Luke 6:37
23. I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh. – Ezekiel 11:19
24. Jesus gives us the perfect example of forgiveness. While in agony on the cross, Jesus called out, exclaiming Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing. – Luke 23:34
Which sin is unforgivable sin?
As recorded in Mark 3:28-29: Jesus said “I tell you the truth, all the sins and blasphemies of men will be forgiven them. But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin.”
When a person openly blaspheme against God, then such a person is no different from the antichrist.
Benefits of forgiveness of sin
25. Come now, let us settle the matter, says the Lord. Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool. – Isaiah 1:18
26. I am sending you to the people to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me. – Acts 26:18
Sanctified means to be made holy, pure, and free from sin in the eyes of God.
How can I be forgiven?
Jesus taught us about forgiveness of sin in the Lord’s prayer. For God to forgive us, we first must forgive others.
27. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors – Matthew 6:12
28. If you forgive those who sin against you, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins. – Matthew 6:14-15.
29. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins. – Mark 11:25
30. Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. – Matthew 5:7
31. If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him. If he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times comes back and says, “I repent,” forgive him. – Luke 17:3b-4
How to confess your sins to God?
To confess before God, we need to go to God in prayer. Jesus taught us to go quietly and be alone, when we pray. We are to talk to our Heavenly father, same way a child would talk to his or her earthly father. Jesus tells us that God loves us so much and He His willing to forgive us of all our sins when we approach Him with a sincere heart in prayer.
When you pray, there are no special words or praying template you must follow. In-fact, Jesus warns us not to keep repeating memorized prayers, which He said are more like pagan chanting than actual prayer. Some believers observe certain rituals with prayer, but this should not hinder you from praying now or at any time in the future. You do not need beads (a rosary) or candles; you do not need to pray through any person, dead or alive. Such practices are not mentioned in the word of God.
The Bible teaches that each person is his or her own priest, and his or her body is the temple in which the Spirit of God lives. You are your own priest before the High Priest in Heaven, Jesus Christ, and you can offer your own prayers to God at any time and wherever you happen to be.
How to ask God for forgiveness
1 – Forgive others who have sinned against you.
2 – Confess to God in specific detail what your sin is. Confess means that you admit you have sinned (have done wrong in God’s sight), and that you acknowledge responsibility for your sin.
3 – Be contrite (feeling remorse) that you have disobeyed God and have sinned against Him.
4 – Repent (turn away) from sin. Repent means to turn away from sin and turn towards God.
5 – After you have forgiven others, ask them for their forgiveness, then confess your sin to God.
God’s desire is for His children to have two inheritances: joy and peace in this life and complete joy and freedom in the eternal life to come. For you to part-take in the eternal life, you must first confess your sins and accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior.
We hope you have been truly blessed by this bible verses about forgiveness of sins, forgiveness verses in bible, what the bible says about forgiveness of sons and how we can live a sinless life.
God bless and stay safe.