In this post, we will be looking at over 20 bible verses about friendship, christian friendship quotes and what does the word of God says about friendship. What steps do we need to take in choosing the right friends or people we relate with? How do we go about treating others?
This and many more questions we hope these bible verses about friendship will assist us in answering them. Let your mind be opened as you read these verses and I pray that these words ministers to your spirit.
Follow us for more motivating christian quotes:
Bible Verses About Friendship
Jesus Commandment on Friendship
The book of John 15:12-15 describes what Jesus has to say about friendship and how we ought to relate with one another.
1. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you – John 15:12
2. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends – John 15:13
3. You are my friends if you do what I command – John 15:14
4. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you – John 15:15
How Christians Should Pick Their Friends
The books of Proverbs and 1 Corinthians gives us insight on why we need to make sure we have the right kind of friends.
1. Do not be misled: Bad company corrupts good character. – 1 Cor 15:33
2. Do not make friends with a hot-tempered man, do not associate with one easily angered or you may learn his ways and get yourself ensnared. – Proverbs 22: 24-25
3. The righteous choose their friends carefully, but the way of the wicked leads them astray. – Proverbs 12:26
4. Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble. – Proverbs 13:20
How Christians Should Treat Their Friends
Below are some bible verses on what the bible says on how friends should treat each other.
1. Do to others as you would have them do to you. – Luke 6:31
2. Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. – Romans 12:10
3. Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. – Colossians 3:12
4. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. – Colossians 3:13
5. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. – Colossians 3:14
6. Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. – Ephesians 4:29
7. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. – Ephesians 4:30
8. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. – Ephesians 4:31
9. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. – Ephesians 4:32
Importance of Godly Friendships
As Christians, it is important we maintain Godly friendships or Godly relationships in our life. Below are some bible verses on what the bible says about the importance of godly friendship.
1. As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. – Proverbs 27:17
2. A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need. – Proverbs 17:17
3. Without wise leadership, a nation falls; there is safety in having many advisers. – Proverbs 11:14
4. The wise are mightier than the strong, and those with knowledge grow stronger and stronger. – Proverbs 24:5
5. Get all the advice and instruction you can, so you will be wise the rest of your life. – Proverbs 19:20
Examples of Friendships In The Bible
1. Elijah and Elisha
Elijah said to Elisha, Stay here; the LORD has sent me to Bethel. But Elisha said, As surely as the LORD lives and as you live, I will not leave you. So they went down to Bethel. – 2 Kings 2:2
2. David and Jonathan
After David had finished talking with Saul, Jonathan became one in spirit with David, and he loved him as himself. From that day Saul kept David with him and did not let him return to his father’s house. And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. – 1 Samuel 18:1-3
3. Ruth and Naomi
But Ruth replied, Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me. – Ruth 1: 16-17
Best Friend Captions
Below are two of my favorite true friendship captions that will inspire you:
1. My best friend is the one who brings out the best in me.
2. True friends show up in your time of need, not in happiness.