In this article, we will be taking a look at bible verses about sexual immorality or what the Bible says about sexual immorality, and sexual sin so you can better understand what the Bible is saying.
What does the Bible mean when it talks about sexual immorality? What is sexual immorality in the Bible? How is sexual immorality different from other sins? What does God have to say about incest, rape, adultery, and fornication.
By carefully reading the Bible verses relating to sexual immorality, we can arrive at a Godly understanding on this subject and why we must overcome it.
Sexual Immorality Meaning in the Bible
Sexual immorality in our society has caused a lot of issues, such as unwanted pregnancies outside of marriage, sexually transmitted diseases that can affect one’s health or life expectancy, and infidelity (which can lead to divorce).
From television, to music, to the internet, our youth are exposed to all forms of sexual activities every single day. Because of this exposure, many of them are tempted to engage in sexual activity at a younger age. But God has provided us with specific guidelines as to what is right and wrong sexually and how we can control our heart from falling astray.
The Bible defines sexual immorality as any type of sexual relationship that falls outside the boundaries set out by God for His people.
In the Bible, sexual immorality is a term with many different meanings. For example, it can refer to any kind of sexual contact outside marriage or it can refer to intercourse between unmarried people. Sexual immorality can also refer to adultery, or to having sex with someone other than your spouse.
In general, the Bible is very clear that sex outside of marriage will lead people away from God and has harmful consequences for them and their relationships.
Sex Before Marriage
God created sex to be enjoyed within the confines of marriage. Some people may try to tell you that sex outside of marriage is harmless fun, but the truth is that it can be physically and emotionally devastating. Abstinence from sex before marriage provides a safe way to enjoy this gift, and it’s beautiful! God wants the best for you!
Paul’s letter to the Thessalonian urges us to clearly abstain from sexual activities outside of marriage.
It is God’s will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; that each of you should learn to control your own body in a way that is holy and honorable. – 1 Thessalonians 4:3-4
Bible Verses About Sexual Immorality
1. For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication: – 1 Thessalonians 4:3
2. Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, – Galatians 5:19
3. If a man practices homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman, both men have committed a detestable act. They must both be put to death, for they are guilty of a capital offense. – Leviticus 20:13(NLT)
4. In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire. – Jude 1:7
5. But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery. – Matthew 5:32
6. Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, The two will become one flesh. – 1 Corinthians 6:16
7. And there were also male cult prostitutes in the land. They did according to all the abominations of the nations that the LORD drove out before the people of Israel. – 1 Kings 14:24
8. Do not have sexual relations with your neighbor’s wife and defile yourself with her. – Leviticus 18:20
9. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. – 1 John 1:9
10. Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it lawfully, understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine. – 1 Timothy 1:8-10
Sexual Immorality Verses
11. Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body. Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; – 1 Corinthians 6:18-19
12. There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. – 1 Corinthians 10:13
13. What comes out of a person is what defiles them. For it is from within, out of a person’s heart, that evil thoughts come sexual immorality, theft, murder, – Mark 7:20-21
14. So I will come near to you for judgment. I will be quick to testify against sorcerers, adulterers and perjurers, against those who defraud laborers of their wages, who oppress the widows and the fatherless, and deprive aliens of justice, but do not fear me, says the LORD Almighty. – Malachi 3:5
15. But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people. – Ephesians 5:3
16. He put away the male cult prostitutes out of the land and removed all the idols that his fathers had made. – 1 Kings 15:12
17. Do not practice homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman. It is a detestable sin. – Leviticus 18:22 (NLT)
18. Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul; – 1 Peter 2:11
19. You say, Food for the stomach and the stomach for food, and God will destroy them both. The body, however, is not meant for sexual immorality but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. – 1 Corinthians 6:13
20. Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous. – Hebrews 13:4
Scriptures About Sexual Immorality
21. He also tore down the living quarters of the male and female shrine prostitutes that were inside the Temple of the LORD, where the women wove coverings for the Asherah pole. – 2 Kings 23:7
22. We should not commit sexual immorality, as some of them did–and in one day twenty-three thousand of them died. – 1 Corinthians 10:8
23. But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. – Matthew 5:28
24. Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? Shall I then take the members of Christ and unite them with a prostitute? Never! – 1 Corinthians 6:15
25. For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. – Ephesians 5:5
26. But a man who commits adultery lacks judgment; whoever does so destroys himself. – Proverbs 6:32
27. But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars; their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death. – Revelation 21:8
28. I will not show my love to her children, because they are the children of adultery. – Hosea 2:4
29. Your adulteries and lustful neighings, your shameless prostitution! I have seen your detestable acts on the hills and in the fields. Woe to you, O Jerusalem! How long will you be unclean? – Jeremiah 13:27
30. So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways. – Revelation 2:22
31. Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. – 1 Corinthians 6:9-10
32. But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. – 1 Corinthians 7:2
Forbidden Sexual Immorality in the Bible
1. Pagan sexual activity – Exodus 32; Isaiah 57:7-8; Hosea 4:12-14; Ephesians 5:5; Colossians 3:5
2. Fornication – Genesis 38:24; Leviticus 21:9; Deuteronomy 22:21; 1 Corinthians 6:18, 7:2; Hebrew 13:4
3. Polygamy – Genesis 2:1-8; Matthew 19:4-6; Genesis 4:19-24; 1 Kings 11:1-9; 1 Timothy 3:2,12
4. Bestiality – Exodus 22:19; Leviticus 20:15-16; Deuteronomy 27:21
5. Rape – Genesis 34:1-31; Judges 19:1-30, 2 Samuel 13:11-14
6. Homosexuality – Leviticus 18:22, 20:13; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9
7. Adultery – Exodus 20:14; Deuteronomy 5:18; Proverbs 6:32; Matthew 5:27-32, 15:19; 1 Corinthians 6:9-11
8. Incest – Leviticus 18, 20, 27
9. Prostitution – Leviticus 19:29, 21:9; 1 Corinthians 6:16
Sodom and Gomorrah Destroyed
Sodom and Gomorrah are two biblical cities that are known for their sinful nature. They are usually used as an example of what happens when one commits sin.
God completely destroyed the two cities due to their adulterous, sexual immoral acts which where detestable before God. The family of Lot (Abraham’s nephew) were the only one to be saved from this destruction because of Abraham’s plea.
The entire encounter of what lead to the destruction of this two cities can be found in Genesis 19:1-11.
How to overcome Sexual Immorality
- Spend time in prayer with God
- Guard your heart with the word of God
- When sexual thoughts comes into your mind, flee from it either taking a walk and meditating on God’s word or play a gospel music and sing with your heart.
- Stay away from pornography or movies filled with sex scenes
- If you are not married and can’t hold yourself, then go to God in prayer for a partner.
- Learn to develop self-control
- The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. So ask God for a spirit that will enable you fear Him.
We hope you have been blessed by this bible verses about sexual immorality. Although the temptation to stray from the straight and narrow way may arise, God is aware of your intentions and desires. He will help you to remain pure no matter what obstacles or scenarios life throws at you.