In this post, we will be looking at over 25 powerful bible verses about overcoming adversity / what does the bible say about adversity? The bible says in Deuteronomy 31:6,8 – Be strong and bold; have no fear or dread of them, because it is the Lord your God who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not fail you or forsake you.
In times of adversity, God expects us to be strong and bold to face-off all challenges and He tells us not to be afraid because He His with us.
This is a powerful bible passage we all need to reflect on in our daily life and meditate on it so we can speak to God about this promise when adversity comes near us.
Why does God allow adversity?
God does not allow adversity because He wants to, but He allows us to face it so He can get our attention. In this generation, we get carried away with the things of this world and our own desires and forget that God exist. Our God is a jealous God and he wants us to pay more of our attention on Him because He loves us and He His able to give you all you need with out you working too hard for it.
Sometimes adversity could be a way of God punishing us for our constant sinning and rebellious act. Our existence on earth is for us to live for Him and for Him alone. It is not up to us to choose and pick how we want to live our life but rather how god wants us to live our life.
How should we react to adversity?
Also recognize the mistake you have made that lead to the adversity and repent from it.
How long will our adversity last?
There is no record of how long an adversity would last in the bible but it all comes down to you as an individual on how you react to it. When you go to God immediately in prayer and with an obedient heart, be rest assured that God will rescue you from it. If you choose to do it on your own terms and ignore God, then you are telling God you don’t need Him, then the devil takes over and that could go for a long time.
Two good examples in the bible is the story of the Isrealite’s exodus from Egypt to the promised land but had to spend 40 years because of their attitude and unbelieve.
Another one is the story of Job and what he had to endure but Job found favor in God’s sight and because of his obedience, God restored all he had lost double fold.
Bible Verses About Overcoming Adversity
1. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all. – Psalm 34:19
2. And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. – Romans 8:28
3. What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? – Romans 8:31
4. The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent. – Exodus 14:14
5. Since therefore Christ suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves with the same way of thinking, for whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, – 1 Peter 4:1
6. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. – Philippians 4:12-13
7. In the day of prosperity be joyful, and in the day of adversity consider: God has made the one as well as the other, so that man may not find out anything that will be after him. – Ecclesiastes 7:14
8. The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When evildoers assail me to eat up my flesh, my adversaries and foes, it is they who stumble and fall. Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war arise against me, yet I will be confident. – Psalm 27:1-3
9. But he said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. – 2 Corinthians 12:9
10. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. – Joshua 1:9
11. But you, take courage! Do not let your hands be weak, for your work shall be rewarded. – 2 Chronicles 15:7
12. Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. – Isaiah 41:10
What does the Bible say about adversity?
13. So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, – 2 Corinthians 4:16-17
14. Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. – 1 Peter 5:8
15. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away. – Revelation 21:4
16. Out of my distress I called on the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me free. The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me? – Psalm 118:5-6
17. Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ’s sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed. – 1 Peter 4:12-13
18. Say to those who have an anxious heart, Be strong; fear not! Behold, your God will come with vengeance, with the recompense of God. He will come and save you. – Isaiah 35:4
19. For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. – Jeremiah 29:11
20. Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. – James 1:2-4
21. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. – Romans 8:38-39
22. Looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. – Hebrews 12:2
23. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; – 2 Corinthians 4:8-9
24. And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. – 1 Peter 5:10
25. Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. – James 1:12
We hope you have been blessed by these powerful bible verses about overcoming adversity or what does the bible say about adversity.