The Fear of God, The Hidden Gem
To begin with, the first thing you need to know is that the fear of God is a command, not an option to choose and pick as desired. The bible says in Psalms 22:23 (NKJV) – “You who fear the Lord, praise Him! All you descendants of Jacob, glorify Him, and fear Him, all you offspring of Israel!“. So for you to praise God, you must first humble yourself before the King of kings. When we fear the Lord, we are able to worship Him in spirit and in truth.
The bible further says in Psalms 33:8 (NKJV) – “Let all the earth fear the Lord; Let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him.“Therefore, we must all know that to fear God is not a matter of choice but a command He has given to us to obey and follow. In addition, we cannot have a relationship with Him if we do not fear Him.
Bible Verses on The Fear of God
1. The fear of the Lord is to hate evil; Pride and arrogance and the evil way
And the perverse mouth I hate. – Proverbs 8:13
2. “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction.” – Proverbs 1:7
3. And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell – Matthew 10:28
4. Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, For this is man’s all – Ecclesiastes 12:13
5. And to man He said, ‘Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,
And to depart from evil is understanding.’ – Job 28:28
6. Let all the earth fear the Lord; Let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him – Psalm 33:8
7. There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love – 1 John 4:18
8. The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; The judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether – Psalm 19:9
9. Praise the Lord! Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, Who delights greatly in His commandments – Psalm 112:1
10. Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure – Philippians 2:12-13
11. In mercy and truth atonement is provided for iniquity; And by the fear of the Lord one departs from evil – Proverbs 16:6
12. Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God – 2 Corinthians 7:1
13. And Moses said to the people, “Do not fear; for God has come to test you, and that His fear may be before you, so that you may not sin.” – Exodus 20:20
14. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me – Psalm 23:4
15. If you fear the Lord and serve Him and obey His voice, and do not rebel against the commandment of the Lord, then both you and the king who reigns over you will continue following the Lord your God – 1 Samuel 12:14
Benefits of The Fear of God
16. He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him; He also will hear their cry and save them – Psalm 145:19
17. By humility and the fear of the Lord are riches and honor and life – Proverbs 22:4
18. “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; A good understanding have all those who do His commandments. His praise endures forever” – Psalms 111:8 (NKJV)
19. So the LORD commanded us to observe all these statutes, to fear the LORD our God for our good always and for our survival, as it is today – Deuteronomy 6:24
20. The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, To turn one away from the snares of death – Proverbs 14:27
21. Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand – Isaiah 41:10
22. In the fear of the Lord there is strong confidence, and His children will have a place of refuge – Proverbs 14:26
23. The secret of the Lord is with those who fear Him, and He will show them His covenant – Psalm 25:14
24. The fear of the Lord leads to life, and he who has it will abide in satisfaction; He will not be visited with evil – Proverbs 19:23
25. And His mercy is on those who fear Him from generation to generation – Luke 1:50
26. The angel of the Lord encamps all around those who fear Him, and delivers them. Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good; Blessed is the man who trusts in Him! Oh, fear the Lord, you His saints! There is no want to those who fear Him – Psalm 34:7-9
27. Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and depart from evil. It will be health to your flesh, and strength to your bones – Proverbs 3:7-8
28. The Lord has been mindful of us; For He will bless us; He will bless the house of Israel; He will bless the house of Aaron. Also will He bless those who fear the Lord, both small and great – Psalms 115:12-13
29. Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling – Psalm 2:11
30. For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind – 2 Timothy 1:7
Attributes of the Fear of The Lord
Psalms 34:11-14 (NKJV) – “Come, you children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the Lord. Who is the man who desires life, and loves many days, that he may see good? Keep your tongue from evil, and your lips from speaking deceit. Depart from evil and do good; Seek peace and pursue it.“.
Note, the Psalmist in verse 11 said “…. I will teach you the fear of the Lord.” He further went on to express 6 attributes of the fear of the God. Now take note of these six attributes of the fear of the Lord:
- Keep your tongue from evil
- Keep your lips from speaking deceit or lies
- Depart from evil acts
- Always do good at all times
- Furthermore, always seek peace
- And finally pursue peace
The Psalmist concluded that God pays attention to the cry of those who fear the Lord, and delivers them from all their troubles. Psalms 34:15 (NIV) – “The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and his ears are attentive to their cry“.
Psalms 34:17 (NIV) – “The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; He delivers them from all their troubles“.
May the peace of God the Father be yours in the name of His Son Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior, through His Holy Spirit. And everyone reading this comments “Amen”.