This low-carb gluten-free white cake is one of those special cake recipes that come in very handily in special times. You can make this cake as often as you want for friends and family even though you may not be a huge fan of such a cake.
Also check out our other blog posts:
What does white cake mean?
The first time I heard about white cake, I pondered in my mind what cake is white. All cakes to me over the years as I grew up are always looking browny and delicious. After digging further, it became clear why a cake is called white cake. So basically, white cake is simply using egg white portion only in making it. Most traditional cakes, like wedding cakes, use the whole egg or just the yoke.
How to make gluten-free White Cake
Now let’s dive straight into the main reason for this post. Before we begin, some people like to use stevia in making their cake, which is OK. But if you are not a fan of stevia, then feel free to use plain white sugar.
In this cake, we are using erythritol or xylitol. If you are not comfortable using these, then use plain white sugar or even mashed banana. Yes using a mashed banana also works well.
You may also choose to use coconut sugar or even normal home honey but you would have to tweak the quantity to get the right balance. You might consider lowering the temperature as well.
- 1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted so that there are no clumps (56g)
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 eggs (reserve 2 whites on the side)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (105g)
- 1/2 cup erythritol, xylitol, or sugar (100g). Someone also recommended using mashed banner instead.
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla stevia
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter extract (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda or baking powder
Steps to making a white cake
- In a bowl, place 1/2 cup of coconut flour, 1/8 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda, and 1/2 cup of erythritol (or xylitol or sugar). Mix until no clumps are left.
- Using a separate container, combine 1/2 cup of coconut oil, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract, one teaspoon of butter extract (optional), 1/2 teaspoon of liquid vanilla stevia, two egg yolks, and three whole eggs. Mix with a whisk until all the mixtures are well blended.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Now beat the remaining two egg whites into soft peaks and gently incorporate them into the batter.
- Grease an 8-inch cake pan (you can also use a springform if you have it).
- Place a piece of parchment paper in the bottom.
- Now pour the batter into the prepared cake pan or springform as the case may be.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for between 25 to 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool down for about 15 minutes before unmolding.
FAQ About Cake
How can I make my cake more fluffy?
The secrets to making a fluffy cake is outlined below:
- Make sure your ingredients are at room temperature. You want them this way so its easier to beat and mix together
- For creaming method, beat the butter and sugar until it’s light in color and increased in volume. This way you are adding air bubbles into the mixture so in the oven it will expand making the cake nice and fluffy
- Sift your floor to prevent lumps
- Use buttermilk over milk
- Pre-heat your oven temperature to right temperature
Can you eat cake everyday and still lose weight?
There is no scientific evidence that suggest that eating cake will help you to loose weight. However, there is studies that suggest that when you deprive yourself on things you love to eat while watching your weight, you end up eating a lot more of the food when it becomes available to you.
Depriving yourself of food like chocolate cake is not the best approach, but rather discipline yourself in maintaining good and regular exercise while still able to eat the food you love.
What is the difference between white cake and vanilla cake?
The difference between white cake and vanilla cake is mainly the egg white. White cakes uses egg whites rather than the whole egg. Vanilla cake uses the egg yoke which tints the batter yellow.
Popular birthday cake flavor
See below 10 of the most popular birthday cake flavor to consider when you are ordering or making a birthday cake for your loved once. Feel free to comment on which other flavors you have used in past that should be added to list:
- Vanilla or yellow cake
- Chocolate chip
- Red velvet