In this post, we will be taking a closer look at this important topic – who controls your heart spiritually, how to guard your heart and guard your heart bible verses. Our heart is a treasure house as recorded in Matthew 12:35, Jesus says “A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things.”
Before we continue, follow us for inspiring word of God:
- Bible Verses About Anger and How to Overcome it
- 10 Powerful Spiritual Warfare Prayers for Your Husband
We recognize that our heart is the key to our being and we have control to protect it. When you protect your heart and submit it to the holy spirit, you will discover that many misfortunes that you experience in life will not happen because whoever controls your heart controls your life.
Also remember Proverbs 4: 23-27 says “above all else, guard your heart, for out of it is the wellspring of life. Keep your mouth free of perversity; keep corrupt talk far from your lips. Let your eyes look straight ahead; fix your gaze directly before you. Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways. Do not turn to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil.”
Whatever happens to you in the area of decision that you take, it is determined by who you submit to.
How do you guard your heart and mind?
You need to guard your heart and mind through the power of the Holy Spirit by praying earnestly. The book of Philippians 4:6-7 (NIV) summarizes this with ease – “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
What does Proverbs 4:23 mean?
Proverbs 4:23 says we should guard our heart, for out of it is the wellspring of life. Our heart is our mind and what comes out of our lips is what was already conceived in our heart. So if we conceive evil in our heart, we bring forth evil, but if we conceive good in our heart, we produce good things.
Luke 6:45 summarizes this – “A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.”
How does God change your heart?
God can change the hearts of men supernaturally in split seconds because He made their hearts. Psalm 33:15 tells us that the God formed the hearts of man, so He understands everything they do. Then Deuteronomy 30:6 says – The Lord your God will change your hearts and the hearts of your descendants, so that you may love him with all your heart and with all your soul, and live.
Your Heart Operates Through Your Mindset
Lets start by looking at Mark 7:20-23, it says “It is what comes from inside that defiles you. For from within, out of a person’s heart, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, wickedness, deceit, lustful desires, envy, slander, pride, and foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person.”
We understand that for us to act what is in our heart, it must first come from the mind. Before someone thinks of committing adultery and does it, he first processes it in his mind. So we see here that your mind is connected to your heart.
Your heart is responsible for all the actions that you do.
We can easily summarize this that your heart operates through your mindset, so whoever controls your mind controls your heart.
Who Controls Your Heart
The two elements that controls the human heart are:
1) Your flesh – Satan seeks to control your flesh
The reason why Satan seeks to control the flesh is because flesh fell in Genesis 3 when Eve sinned, man fell and God said that flesh will go back to the dust. But we have to live in it until it goes back to the dust and the spirit goes back to God who created it.
As a result of this, flesh became depraved and wants to take us to the grave. While our spirit in us is yearning to control the flesh, the flesh is also fighting to control the body. Satan walks through the flesh which comprises of fives senses; what you see, smell, hear, touch, and taste. If Satan controls your flesh, then it can control your life.
Everything we do on earth is mostly controlled by what our flesh desires.
2) Your spirit – The Holy Spirit seeks to control your spirit
Looking at Romans 8:6, the bible says “The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace.” When you allow the Spirit of God to control your spirit, then you will receive both life and peace.
If you allow God to control your spirit, then God can control your life.
Having The Right Mindset
Anything that you accept in your mind like imagination and you begin to think about it, is what you will eventually settle with and at that time, it will be stored in your heart. What you store there will begin to control what you do or act upon.
Many Christians pray so much but only few encounter God. Praying is an activity but your mindset is what commands authority, is what brings vision, revelation from God. Your mindset can make you walk in righteousness or godliness.
Change your mindset toward God and you will encounter Him.
- Your mind-set determines your choice of life or death
- Your mind-control determines all about you
- Who or what controls your mind determines your direction in life
How do you know who controls your mind?
To answer this question, we need to take a quick look at the book of Matthew 7:16 which reads “By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles?”
1) You can know who controls your mind by what you do.
2) A sinful mind is hostile to God, does not submit to God and cannot do so
If your mind is trying to make you hate someone, constantly seeks to condemn someone, then know that Satan is behind this. If your mind shows compassion on someone in need, then know this is from God.
How To Guard Your Heart
1. Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God.
If you are controlled by flesh, you cannot please God – Romans 8:8
2. Your mindset determines your life, what you do, or your attitude.
Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. – Romans 8:5
The way you live your life is determined by your mindset.
Your attitude determines your altitude or how high you can go in life.
Guard Your Heart Bible Verses
1. Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. – Proverbs 4:23
2. Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in your ways. – Psalm 119:37
3. Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. – Psalm 51:10
4. If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. – Colossians 3:1-2
5. A good person produces good things from the treasury of a good heart, and an evil person produces evil things from the treasury of an evil heart. What you say flows from what is in your heart. – Luke 6:45
6. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. – Proverbs 3:5-6
7. Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. – 1 Peter 5:8
8. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. – Matthew 5:8
9. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. – Romans 12:2
10. So that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, – Ephesians 3:17
We hope you have been blessed by this topic on who controls your heart, how to guard your heart, guard your heart bible verses.