Why is bananas so important to our body and what are the health benefits of eating bananas moderately and not too much of it.
Bananas are one of the tastiest fruits known to man and are certain almost everyone would have had a taste of it in their lifetime. Bananas can be eaten raw or as an ingredient in smoothies, cakes, or other dishes. Most people in Africa eat bananas with nuts, and from my personal experience, they are delicious. Don’t be surprised to know that not many people know how beneficial bananas are to their health and how many calories it contains.
The only downside to eating bananas is that they do get most of their calories from sugars. For those on a low carbohydrate diet, this may not be what you hoped to hear. In a cup of mashed bananas, banana nutrition facts will show you that these have about 51 grams of carbs, of which about 28 come from sugars.
Bananas are an excellent source of nutrition for just about anyone, including the benefits of the vitamins and minerals that they contain.
Health Benefits of Eating Bananas
There are several benefits of eating bananas and below are but just a few of its benefits.
- They are useful before workouts as they help your body control your blood sugar levels since it contains soluble fiber.
- Studies indicate that they may affect or combat depression and mood scores due to high tryptophan, an amino acid used for serotonin release. Serotonin is the neurotransmitter responsible for happiness feelings.
- It contains water and dietary fiber, both of which help in digestion and relieve different digestive problems.
- They are an excellent source of Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, and manganese. These vitamins are essential for healthy living.
- One of the benefits of bananas for weight loss is it has high fiber and low calories. Bananas are generally known to help with weight loss and weight maintenance.
- Studies show that bananas can make you smarter or learn faster as they strengthen the nervous system due to their vitamin B6 content. Vitamin B6 is known to promote the production of serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine that supports concentration.
- They are a rich source of vitamin B6 which plays an important role in the production of hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is essential for antibody production (which maintains a healthy immune response) by converting carbohydrates to glucose and improve blood sugar levels.
- Bananas can help fight anemia because they are high in iron content. They are known to stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood that helps fight anemia.
- According to the FDA, bananas can help reduce the risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke as they are high in potassium and low in sodium.
- They can even lower body temperature during a hot day or even during a feverish episode.
How many calories are in a banana?
We leave in times when we need to pay close attention to what we take into our bodies. For every meal we eat, you wonder how many calories are in the food. In this case how many calories are in a banana as fruits. It is good to know how many calories you are getting from bananas because this delicious and nutritious fruit contains many calories. Did you know that bananas are one of the top 3 most popular fruit after apples and oranges?
To answer the above burning question, a medium-sized banana contains about 106 calories. Due to the different sizes of bananas, the amount of calories intake will vary.
Nutrient Value of Bananas
Below are the nutritional values of a medium-sized banana. A medium-sized banana (7-8 inches) weighs about 18 grams.
Calories 106 Sodium 1 mg Carbohydrates 27 g Dietary Fiber 2.6 g Sugars 15 g Protein 1.09 g Potassium 450 mg Magnesium 34 mg Vitamin A 80 IU Vitamin C 9 mg Vitamin B6 0.5 mg Calcium 4.5 mg Iron 0.3 mg
How many calories are in a banana smoothie?
Bananas are one of the preferred household ingredients when making a refreshing and healthy smoothie and of course, the calorie count depends on the rest of the other added ingredients. Let’s take a quick look at the calorie contents of some fruits used for banana smoothies.
A medium banana of about 106-120 calories plus depending on the size.
Reduced-fat Milk 120 Calories Whole Milk 150 Calories Orange Juice 110 Calories Fruit Juice 130 Calories Soy Milk 100 Calories
How many calories are in a banana muffin?
Determining the number of calories depends greatly on the type of banana bread used for the muffin and other extra ingredients used. For a simple muffin, we are looking at about 190 calories with about 28 grams of carbohydrates and 2.5 grams of protein.
How many calories are in a peanut butter and banana sandwich?
You wonder how many calories you may have saved by replacing the traditional jelly with a freshly cut banana.
So let’s break down the calorie contents of this recipe. 2 slices of whole-wheat bread contain about 138 calories while a 2-tablespoon full of peanut butter contains about 190 calories. Add the 110 calories from banana and you have in total about 438 calories in a tasty peanut butter and banana sandwich.
Any downside to eating bananas?
So, you may be wondering, what is not so good about bananas? For some people, the high amount of carbohydrates found in bananas can be a bit concerning. You typically will find in bananas about 4 grams of dietary fiber and about 21 grams of sugar-based carbohydrates. Those who take their carbs count seriously may need to keep close tabs on these banana nutrition facts to ensure they are taking in only what they need in terms of carbohydrates.
Are bananas really good for people with diabetes?
Eating bananas as part of a balanced diet is considered safe for people with diabetes. Please note that since bananas contain naturally-occurring sugars, it may be safe for some to eat without any issues, others may reactive to it differently.
There are lots of conversations in the medical world as to the true effect of bananas on someone with type 2 diabetes. The general consensus is that diabetic patients can safely eat bananas but in moderation.
Always consult your medical doctor if you are unsure as they have a good knowledge of your situation and can advise you appropriately.
How many bananas can I eat a day to lose weight?
There aren’t any studies indicating that eating bananas will aid in weight loss. However, we know that bananas are rich in fiber content which curbs appetite, this then forces the body to burn more fat. So having one to two bananas per day is considered moderate and healthy, but should be eaten as part of a balanced diet meal.
Check out our free health and fitness calculators
Other trending topics
- 30 Inspiring Fitness Quotes and Motivation
- 6 Powerful Tips to Improve Your Sleep
- 10 Health Benefits of Coconut Water
Disclaimer: This article is completely based on research and data available on the internet. However, it is always advised to consult a doctor before making any changes to your dietary plan.